New Intake September 2019
If you would like to visit the College Miss Wilson, Principal holds regular sessions, where she is available to meet with parents and carers and provide a tour of the College. Please phone Mrs Fordham, Principal’s PA on 01359 230885 to book an appointment.
Please find below eight items of important information:
- TIMINGS OF THE COLLEGE DAY
- TERM DATES
- BUS ROUTES
- SAMPLE FORTNIGHTLY TIMETABLE
- ATTENDANCE ADVICE FOR PARENTS AND STUDENTS
- A to Z INFORMATION GUIDE FOR PARENTS
- HOME TO COLLEGE PARTNERSHIP
Home to School Transport 2019
From September 2019, Suffolk County Council (SCC) will only provide free transport for new students for whom Thurston Community College is the nearest secondary school and who live more than 3 miles away, as measured by the shortest available walking route. In addition, no child will automatically be sent a bus pass. All parents/carers will have to apply for a pass (free or paid for) if they want their child to travel by bus to school.
We know this will cause difficulties for some parents and carers who want their child to attend Thurston Community College and we are working hard to find solutions for everyone. We have already made the decision to extend our breakfast and homework club provision. From September 2019 Breakfast Club will start at 7.30am and Homework Club will finish at 5.30pm. These clubs are free to attend and run every school day.
If you do not qualify for a free Suffolk County Council bus pass, you will have three main options:
- SCC will still be running the usual school buses transporting all the students in Years 8–11. You can apply for a discretionary place on these buses at a cost of £750 in the first year.
- Arrange to transport your child to school yourself. We may be able to help you arrange a car share with other parents if you provide your details on our survey (see below).
- We are assessing the viability of running our own buses from hubs in some villages if there is enough demand and we can arrange it at a lower cost than the SCC service. The villages for which we are considering this at the moment are Elmswell, Woolpit, Rattlesden, Honington, Ixworth, Stanton and Walsham-le-Willows.
We would like to find out what help parents and carers need so that we can continue to investigate solutions. To do this, we are asking any parent or carer who will be affected by the change to transport arrangements to complete our questionnaire. Many of you did this at our Open Evening in September when you filled in a blue form. If you have not done so, you can do it now online by clicking this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/transport2019
If you want more information about the changes to transport provision, please read our FAQs or contact us: email@example.com